Mangrove Jack's Craft Series Partial Mash Kit - American Pale Ale
by JB Flannery
Although my previous attempt at a gluten free beer gave good results, it was a tad complicated for a brewling such as me. I decided to buy a partial mash kit from my local home brew shop to see if it would make for a less laborious brew and potentially, a better overall beer: the mangrove jacks American Pale Ale. Apparently, this would allow me to build a beer with a more complex flavour profiles and with the addition of Clarity ferm, could yield a very tasty gluten free beer.
As before (due to very hard water) I decided to use 'Ashbeck' water from Tesco for this brew.
Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series American Pale Ale:
I filled my kettle with 11L of water and aimed for a temperature to 70°C.
I filled the grain bag and added this to the kettle and reduced the temperature on the kettle to achieve a temperature of 65°C for the mash.
This temperature was maintained for 30 minutes following which i removed the grain bag and allowed it to drip dry into the kettle.
I increased the temperature of the kettle to achieve a boil then added the malt extract to the kettle whilst stirring and increased the temperature of the kettle to achieve a boil.
Once the boil occurred, I added the bittering hops- thankfully no boil over happened during the hot break.
The total boil time was 60 minutes and involved hop additions throughout. At 45 minutes I placed my wort chiller to sterilise. Five minutes later I added the dextrose. The aroma hops were added at “flame out” (when I turned the kettle off).
Once the temperature dropped to <40°C I siphoned this into a sanitised fermentation bucket.
I added enough water to bring the volume to 23L and recorded the temperature (which was 22°C).
I added my yeast (without hydration!!!!) and sealed the lid followed by the insertion of the airlock (filled with cheap high-proof alcohol).
I allowed this to ferment for 2 weeks until the gravity settled at 1.014 (the kit stated a final gravity of 1.015).
The clarity ferm seemed to drop the solids out of suspension as I was left with a very compact cake and very little trub was carried over.
I batch primed the bottles and left them to condition for 1 week.
This beer turned out very, very well. It was easy to make and is something that will undoubtedly be a family favourite. Most importantly (for me) my gluten intolerant wife can happily drink this beer without illness.